(Health-NewsWire.Net, February 13, 2018 ) Schizophrenia is a severe mental disorder that is characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to recognize what is real; its symptoms are broadly divided into positive, negative and cognitive. The treatment of schizophrenia is multi-factorial and includes medical, psychological and psychosocial inputs. Antipsychotic medication is the main pharmacological agent used, along with counselling, job training, and social rehabilitation. Both typical and atypical antipsychotics are used, and the choice of medication is usually left to the discretion of the treating physician. Clozapine, which is an atypical antipsychotic that binds to serotonin and dopamine receptors, is often given to patients who do not improve with other antipsychotics.
For more information about this report: http://www.reportsweb.com/frontier-pharma-schizophrenia-and-associated-indications-small-but-diverse-range-of-first-in-class-molecular-targets-hold-promise-for-treatment-of-negative-and-cognitive-symptoms
Current treatments, although effective for positive symptoms, have not proven as effective for negative symptoms and cognitive dysfunction, nor are there are any disease-modifying drugs currently available. The pipeline for schizophrenia is small, particularly given the large patient population, it also has low levels of innovation in comparison to other psychiatric indications in the pharmaceutical industry. However, the overall level of innovation in the pipeline for schizophrenia-related indications (which includes depression, panic disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and cognitive deficit) is far higher, with these related products having the potential to provide some benefit to patients with schizophrenia.
The current clinical landscape of schizophrenia
- What is the pathophysiology of schizophrenia?
- How is schizophrenia diagnosed?
- What are the current treatment options?
The schizophrenia pipeline is small, although there is a much larger pipeline for its related indications.
- What are the common targets and mechanisms of action of pipeline therapies?
- Will the pipeline address unmet needs such as a lack of diverse treatment options for schizophrenia patients, particularly those with negative or cognitive symptoms?
- What is the composition of the pipeline for schizophrenia-related indications, and will they be of benefit to schizophrenia patients?
First-in-class products and targets currently within the schizophrenia pipeline
- What are the most promising first-in-class targets for schizophrenia?
Detailed outlook on first-in-class targets and whether they have other therapeutic potential across the industry
Licensing deals are the most common form of strategic alliance in schizophrenia
- How do deal frequency and value compare between target families and molecule types?
- How do licensing and co-development deals compare between first-in-class and non-first-in-class profiles?
Request Sample Copy at http://www.reportsweb.com/inquiry&RW00020456/sample
Reasons to buy
This report will allow you to -
- Understand the current clinical and commercial landscape by considering disease pathogenesis, diagnosis, prognosis, and the treatment options available at each stage of diagnosis, including a clinical comparison of marketed therapies
- Visualize the composition of the schizophrenia market in terms of dominant therapies for each patient subset along with their clinical and commercial standing. Unmet needs in the current market are highlighted to allow a competitive understanding of gaps in the current market.
- Analyze the schizophrenia pipeline and stratify pipeline therapies by stage of development, molecule type and molecular target. There are promising signs in the pipeline that the industry is seeking novel approaches to treating schizophrenia.
- Assess the therapeutic potential of first-in-class targets. Using a proprietary matrix, first-in-class products have been assessed and ranked according to clinical potential. Promising early-stage targets have been further reviewed in greater detail.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the schizophrenia deals landscape by analyzing trends in licensing and co-development deals and producing a list of schizophrenia therapies that are not yet involved in deals, and may be potential investment opportunities.
Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 2
1.1 List of Tables 3
1.2 List of Figures 3
2 Executive Summary 5
2.1 A Complex and Poorly Understood Disorder, with Numerous Unmet Needs 5
2.2 Small Pipeline for Schizophrenia with Few Signs of Innovation 5
2.3 Extensive Pipeline for Associated Indications 5
3 The Case for Innovation 6
3.1 Growing Opportunities for Biologic Products 7
3.2 Diversification of Molecular Targets 7
3.3 Innovative First-in-Class Product Developments Remain Attractive 7
3.4 Regulatory and Reimbursement Policy Shifts Favor First-in-Class Product Innovation 8
3.5 GBI Research Report Guidance 8
4 Clinical and Commercial Landscape 9
4.1 Disease Overview 9
4.2 Epidemiology 9
4.3 Disease Etiology 9
4.4 Disease Pathophysiology 10
4.4.1 Susceptibility Genes 10
4.4.2 Neurotransmission Alterations 11
4.4.3 Phosphatidylinositol Signaling 11
4.5 Disease Symptoms 11
4.6 Indications Associated With Schizophrenia 11
4.6.1 Panic Disorder 11
4.6.2 Depression 12
4.6.3 Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder 13
4.6.4 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 13
4.6.5 Cognitive Impairment 13
4.7 Diagnosis 14
4.8 Prognosis 15
4.9 Treatment Options 15
4.10 Overview of Marketed Products 16
4.10.1 Molecule Type and Target Analysis 16
4.11 Current Unmet Needs 17
5 Assessment of Pipeline Product Innovation 18
5.1 Schizophrenia Pipeline by Molecule Type, Phase and Therapeutic Target 18
5.2 Comparative Distribution of Programs between Schizophrenia Disease Market and Pipeline by Therapeutic Target Family 22
5.3 First-in-Class Pipeline Programs 23
6 Schizophrenia Pathophysiology and Innovation Alignment 32
6.1 The Complexity of Signaling Networks in the Central Nervous System 32
6.2 First-in-Class Target Matrix Assessment 32
Inquire before Buying at http://www.reportsweb.com/inquiry&RW00020456/buying